perfect pitch defined

Gerry Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Wed Jul 2 07:31:53 MDT 2008

I was always told this definition: perfect pitch

Noun1. perfect pitch - The act of tossing a Banjo, Oboe, Bassoon, Accordion,
etc..  into a dumpster without hitting the sides. - see also: relative pitch

More seriously though,

I always wondered which standard a person was referring to when describing
their perfect pitch. Pre 1920's  A-435? Post 1920's A-440? New a-442? 443,
445? European? Eastern? Other?

I'm on the side of relative rather than perfect.

Another though to add to the hopper (dumpster)...

US electrical standards, the frequency of the AC voltages which cause
lights, motors, transformers etc to hum, is 60hz.  Would that officially be
a B or Bb?

Outside of the US there are different Voltages and AC frequencies. Most of
the rest of the world is based on a 50hz grid. Again an offset pitch
frequency.

I would think that IF one had "Perfect Pitch" the noise presented by these,
(not quite "on perfect pitch" frequency hums), might have the potential to
drive one insane. Kind of like old wives tales.   =)

Gerry Cousins