Wives tales ... violin tuning

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 1 19:17:29 MDT 2008

RE: Wives tales ... violin tuningDavid
The true definition of relative pitch refers to one's ability to have close to good pitch, but needs a familiar anchor pitch to reference by. Which is me.
 For example, I learned Bb like the back of my hand early on in high school. Several of my favorite jazz tunes started on a Bb note plus our door bell was a Bb, so it became pretty in-grained in my head.  From there I grew more familiar with other tricks and before I knew it I had a full command of the full octave. Was I born with this? No, but I probably had an acute sensitivity towards pitch and always had a curiosity towards it. Which came first the chicken or the egg. Are you born with it or not. Who knows. Who cares.
Tom Servinsky