Hammer resiliency was RE: [CAUT] Steve Brady's book...

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 22:03:04 MDT 2008

You can determine sufficient resilience in part by feel (especially when
preneedling before you even install them you can squeeze the hammers at the
shoulder and feel them start to give after a fair amount of needling) but
mostly by the sound.  Until the hammer gains some reliance it sounds like
the attack gets swallowed very quickly.  When there is sufficient
resiliency, the tone will open up.  I'm surprised to hear the he needles
below the staple to gain resiliency.  Needling down that low will actually
release tension toward the crown and firm up the hammer somewhat.  It is an
effective remedy when you have slightly over needled a hammer.   Andre O.
has referred to this as "battery voicing".  It does work.  There is a
limited amount of reserve down there though so it's best not to tap into it
unless you have to.

My own procedure when using these types of hammers (and when I'm installing
them) is to first put them in a hammer caul (Renner sells one) and clamp the
caul to the work bench so that I can go through and needle the entire set
using the weight of my body leaning into the hammers which takes a lot of
stress off the elbow and arms.  With this method you can also see exactly
where you've been needling each adjacent hammer and keep the pattern fairly
uniform.  Renner hammers (depending on which ones) can require a fair amount
of deep needling this way before you need to bother trying to refine them in
the piano.  You will develop a feel for how much to do this way by squeezing
and by the feel of the needles in the felt.  After you are done the hammers
will have expanded somewhat in the shoulders and need to filed again to
recapture their shape.  The final passes and those closer to (and sometimes
across) the strike point I reserve for when the hammers are actually in the
piano and you can listen with each successive series of stitches.

As far as regularly needling the shoulders for maintenance, I find that deep
needling need not and should not be done at each voicing.  It takes awhile
for the shoulders to pack in to the point where they need to be opened up
again.  Your ear will guide you but you can really only hear it on firmer
blows.  To test for resilience in the shoulder of the hammer requires that
you play the notes at mf and above-hard enough that you compress the felt
down to the area in question.  If the tone distorts and/or is swallowed to
quickly, you will need to deep needle the shoulders more.

Techs who are weaned on the NY Steinway method of needling a lacquered
hammer only into the crown and apply those techniques to these types of
hammers are asking for trouble.   Eventually you will get a mushy strike
point with a rock hard supporting structure underneath.  When you try to
play a forte on a hammer treated that way you get a dull attack that
distorts somewhat painfully.  What you are shooting for is a firm but
resilient shoulder, very firm between the crown and the molding, a soft top
layer (1-2 mm depending on location in the scale) with a polished surface.
That will give you a nice dynamic range with a bit of shine to it.

Of course, the rest of the piano (soundboard, strings, bridges, etc.) needs
to cooperate too.

That's a start anyway.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net