Steve Brady's book...

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 1 17:08:46 MDT 2008

List,

FYI...

In Steve's excellent book, he has interviews with technicians.   One fellow, Ulrich Gerhartz, London Steinway, wrote about how he maintains the voicing on his 13 Hamburg Ds...to paraphrase:   he starts with deep needling, low in the shoulders.  All of the hammers...sometimes below the staple until he is satisfied the shoulder felt has sufficient resiliency.  (I would like to know how he determines that resiliency?...at Yamaha/Buena Park, they kept saying I hadn't deep needled enough...;-]...the projection was quite there I guess...) He then files to restore the shape and attack.  Maybe a few drops of collodian. (wish I had access to that...?)   He finishes up with polishing the hammers from 400 grit to maybe 1200 grit sandpaper.  He fits hammers to strings with a hook rather than under the wippen/jack ala Yamaha.   I am interested in approaching our Hamburg D in this manner...I was especially interested to read about the deep shoulder needling as a regular part of the maintenance...apparently, with playing the shoulders get compacted too...

David Ilvedson, RPT

Pacifica, CA 94044