SOME COMMON WIVES TALES

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 18:50:06 MDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob & Helen Goodale <rhgoodale at embarqmail.com>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:40 am
Subject: SOME COMMON WIVES TALES

Here are a few common or reported piano wives tales. Feel free to add to the list if you have more.?
?
1. Plates are made of solid brass?
2. Cases are made of "solid" whatever the veneer happens to be, i.e. "For Sale: solid oak piano".?
3. Full sized uprights are also called grands.?
4. Any old piano MUST be valuable because everyone knows that antiques are priceless.?
5. The piano has had only one owner so therefore it's in good condition.?
6. The piano has had four owners so therefore it must be in poor condition.?
7. The piano used to be owned by the guy who wrote the "Love Boat theme", therefore it's more valuable.?
8. If the keys have real ivory it must be a good piano.?
9. "The salesman told me it's the same brand that Elvis owned so I know its a good piano."?
10. "They just don't make good pianos anymore".?
11. "It was in tune when I bought it but then it went out. There must be something wrong with it."?
12. "I keep a jar of water under it so that it will stay in tune longer."?
13. "I keep a jar of baking soda inside so that the sound board won't crack."?
14. "I have PERFECT PITCH so I know that this piano isn't tuned right."?
15. "I always have the piano tuned flat so that it will last longer".?
16. "I know it isn't a big deal to fix it, I read about it on the internet".?
17. If you restring a piano it will never sound as good as it did when it was new.?
18. "My piano has gotten used to the way I play it".?
19. "This is the same piano my music teacher owns so I know its a great piano."?
20. "It's not played very much so it never goes out of tune".??

21. No one plays it anymore, so it doesn't need to be tuned.
22. The son of a my neighbor had a college roommate, whose father was a?piano mover, and he said my Whitney spinet is worth $3000.?