Wives tales ... violin tuning

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Tue Jul 1 10:02:21 MDT 2008

Hi Matthew,

While "absolute pitch" can be learned, there are a significant number of
people born with the ability. One could argue that they learned while in
the womb--but I do feel that some folks have a genetic disposition to such
abilities.

I have one client who grew up with a piano that was 100 cents flat and was
that way before her mother became pregnant--yet her perfect pitch is
correct for A440. Clearly that was not a "learned" behavior.

As fascinating as this topic is--it has little to do with piano tuning
except from the point of view of "satisfying the client".

I must add that the list tries to avoid discussions involving "higher
powers"  {your God may not be identical to mine} and "politics". They lead
down a path to dissension, and have nothing to do with technical
discussions of piano work. Of course, you are entitled to your own belief
structure--but freedom of speech does not include the right to "sound off"
on a technical list about them.

At 05:43 AM 7/1/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>        After all, if you have perfect pitch, then why practice?
>pitch memory.        Matthew
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner