Wives tales ... violin tuning

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Tue Jul 1 06:43:55 MDT 2008

I agree with you Tom.  That is a good way to put it.  My only point is that you either have perfect pitch or you do not.  Some people do have an unusually acute sense of pitch memory who are surprisingly accurate.  But then, they would have to be accurate on 100% of the notes, 100% of the time in order to have what some people call "perfect pitch".  You are right that it is a learned technique.  That also proves that this learned behavior is not perfect.  After all, if you have perfect pitch, then why practice?

  The next time someone says to you "practice makes perfect", you say to them, "If practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?"  Practice does make better, as in the learned technique of pitch memory.

  Matthew

Tom Servinsky <tompiano at bellsouth.net> wrote:
          Matthew,
  The term " Perfect Pitch" has been an accepted terminology to describe acute pitch memory. The term " Perfect Pitch" was ill-conceived from a nomenclature perspective and should have been named " Pitch memory".   The term was originally aimed at defining those who have an unusually acute sense of pitch memory. Some who are surprisingly accurate, whether we choose to agree with it or not.I'm convinced that pitch memory is a learned technique. From years as being a symphony musician my sense of pitch memory is surprisingly good ,when and only when I have my instrument in hand and playing. When I listen to other clarinetist I can spot any note equally well. However when I'm out of the playing mode way of thinking, my pitch is at best relative. Go figure!
  Tom Servinsky