Laminated panels (Farrell)

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 13:59:40 MST 2008

Fenton Murray wrote:
> Wouldn't missing this detail in the glue up be less of an issue than missing
> it in a solid panel. One big advantage of laminating is to reduce the effect
> of flaws in individual laminations. One disadvantage to laminating a panel I
> would think would be the glue up process itself, the application of even
> pressure over a panel would require a serious press, I haven't seen it done.
> An amateur attempt could definitely be a failure.

Or a first attempt could bring good success! Look at the pictures below. Consider your eyes virgin no more Fenton. Now you have seen it! Plastic bag, vacuum pump, hose, power, a little magic dust and you're done! 15 psi perfectly evenly applied to every square inch of panel. This simple setup applies a total of about 30,000 pound of clamping pressure to the panel face. That's like parking 5 or 6 big SUVs on the panel! Serious, yes. Complicated, no. Just like we did the laminated ribs in the class demonstration in Rochester - only bigger!

I agree with you regarding minimizing flaws in wood by laminating - not only will one reduce the effect of any flaws present, one can also do a better job of identifying small flaws (knots, pitch pockets, insect damage, etc.) and eliminate those pieces.

Terry Farrell

Tapering at the tail - you can see the two offset grain directions.