performance practice

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 26 15:30:47 MST 2008

Hi Alan

Boy is this a timely post.  This past year I've been doing a lot of
exactly this kind of work with Simax here in Norway.  On my initial meet
with this practice I could not help but raise the question .... how much
of the final CD is the pianist... how much is the producer... and how
much is the editor ?  And where in all this does the concept of
<<music>> in the usual sense of the word come in ?

These concoctions (I guess that word applies) are like digital quilting
where literally every passage is played 10 - 15 times and the end result
any one of a subjective collection boarding on randomized plastering of
100 passages... Ok.. thats perhaps overstated but you get my point.  In
the Grieg Ballade I just helped out on there must be a total of  10^50th
possible combinations.  That would be 50 passages played in 10 different
variations each if I dont forget my basic combinations maths.

In anycase... the creative endeavor that goes into this kind of a
production is way different then a pianist sitting down and simply
playing the piece from the heart and soul.  Its a completely different
art form I'd go so far as to say.  No pianist could actually duplicate
this kind of play in real life situations.... so whatever spontaneity,
expressivity, and passion there is in the piece is a conglomeration of
moods over a 5 day (in the case of the Ballade) recording session.
Interesting to say the least. :)

Cheers
RicB

    Dear listers,

    I'd like to pass on the review from the Wall Street Journal of a book
    recommended by a colleague regarding piano performance practices that
    looks quite interesting; apparently the writer feels that much
    spontaneity and expressivity and passion has been lost in the modern
    age of digital editing of multiple takes, etc. with its emphasis on
    restraining one's more personal interpretive tendencies; the
    Apollonian approach vs. the Dionysion, I guess. Apparently the book
    is at the top of the list of music-related books selling on Amazon
    currently. (No, I have no connection with the writer!).

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120122345824015449.html?mod=2_1167_1

    Best regards,

    Allen Wright
    London, UK