performance practice

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Sat Jan 26 14:30:31 MST 2008

Dear listers,

I'd like to pass on the review from the Wall Street Journal of a book
recommended by a colleague regarding piano performance practices that
looks quite interesting; apparently the writer feels that much
spontaneity and expressivity and passion has been lost in the modern
age of digital editing of multiple takes, etc. with its emphasis on
restraining one's more personal interpretive tendencies; the
Apollonian approach vs. the Dionysion, I guess. Apparently the book
is at the top of the list of music-related books selling on Amazon
currently. (No, I have no connection with the writer!).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120122345824015449.html?mod=2_1167_1

Best regards,

Allen Wright
London, UK