bass bridge replacement

Brian Doepke bdoepke at verizon.net
Fri Jan 25 18:30:51 MST 2008

Hello List,

I have recently been coming across many vertical pianos with cracked and/or split bass bridges.  I have been having to point out this fact to many owners and explain the fact that the piano is unstable in this area and will not hold a proper tuning.

I have checked the archives and have not found anything on bass bridge replacement.  Here comes my main question.

Is it feasible to install a new bass bridge on many of these "entry level" pianos that I have been coming across? Am I passing up potential income by not offering to replace it.  I am sure that I can learn how to do it...but how difficult is it?  Do I need special tools?

I am very busy with tunings right now..but I am curious about the procedure of replacing a bass bridge and wondering if I should pursue this aspect of piano repair.  Is there a kit somewhere?

I appreciate it.
Brian P. Doepke; RPT
A.A.A. Piano Works, LLC
"The after-taste of poor quality