Soundboard drydown for installation

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Wed Jan 23 19:36:48 MST 2008

> Oh, and a practical question about your being in the CC
> capital of the universe. When the RH% gets into the low teens,
> say 15%, the MC of the soundboards will be 3.5%, at or before
> which point a CC board will be flat or have reverse crowned.
> Do you have a recognized annual killer octave season or
> festival there?
> Ron N

Hmmm, well I like festivals, Maestro, but will there be floats...

 3.5 to 4% is the emc of choice for my CC friends. I've measured a few of these boards so far and surprisingly they have plenty of crown, probably coming from a combination of the forced crowning from the gobar deck and from the inner rim.

Whereas I'm at 5%, rib supported. I have a wood conditioning room that senses RH and opens a relay that I can designate for humidification or dehumidification depending on the season, but in all honesty I let her ride down to 4% this time of year rather than put my board in a "wet box."

I also machine a tongue and groove joint in my planks. Del Fandrich referred me to the government's Wood Handbook, which I read in parts. The text states that while this joint is stronger in theory because of the additional glue surface, the effect is often negated by poor machining. I make sure I'm getting a great joint on all five sides and these panels feel stiffer than side grain edge glued panels. Also the tongue and groove allows me to align the planks in such a way that you end up with a thicker panel overall, which I don't think can be refuted.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545