Soundboard drydown for installation

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 13:37:06 MST 2008

> *Agreed. So maybe Udo Steingraber is on to something by custom shaping
> the inner rim to the profile of the board right before installation, and
> Dale seems to agree, that it reduces the stress that is placed upon the
> panel during glue-in. What does that do to the sound? No way am I taking
> the bait on that one. Sure is worth further experimentation, though, and
> I have to admit I get a bit nervous when I'm forcing my potato chip
> shaped panels to conform to the inner rim.*

I've done it both ways. I've "crowned" three bridges, and
found no benefit to it that I can hear, so I don't go th the
trouble any more. Maybe a Philistine assessment, but that's
what I have to work with. Mashing the potato chip to fit the
rim doesn't bother me in the least. I stressed the wood in the
ribs much more than that laminating in the crown.

Oh, and a practical question about your being in the CC
capital of the universe. When the RH% gets into the low teens,
say 15%, the MC of the soundboards will be 3.5%, at or before
which point a CC board will be flat or have reverse crowned.
Do you have a recognized annual killer octave season or
festival there?
Ron N