Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Tue Jan 22 00:41:03 MST 2008

Hi John.

Well, this was my point : hot hide glue does the job pretty well, even in
our humid climates.
But will the cold hide glue do ?
May I ask Terry and Dale who use it with great satisfaction what kind of
climate their instruments are in ?
Following the tech at Franklin, the liquid hide glue would soften at 60 %
humidity.  Is this a concern in a piano where the board is firmly pressed on
the rim by the plate ?
Ah, and a far more stupid question : on the bottles of liquid hide glue,
they print a date.  On mines it says "exp : 24/10/07".  Does this mean the
glue was EXPedited on October 2007, or that the glue EXPires on that date ?
(Or was it designed to EXPlose, which apparently it didn't ?)

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.

I had an old 1880 Schiedmayer (J&P), assembled with good
hide glue of course, that I left outside in the English weather for
over three years.  It refused to disintegrate or go much out of tune
and the brass-wound bass strings sounded fine all the way to the
bonfire.  The humidity here as I write is 94% and will often reach
99%.  We're lucky to get 75% even in the summer.  Our pianos do not
fall apart!