Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jan 21 18:01:02 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
> JD wrote:
SNIP
> I would not hesitate to
> use other hard-setting glues for sticking down the soundboard.  There
> is quite a choice:
>
> 1. A casein glue such as Cascamite

Not familiar with that stuff

> 2. Aerolite 306, urea-formaldehye resin glue
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aerolite-306-Synthetic-Resin-Wood-Glue_W0QQitemZ350013342206>

Ahh! No!

> 3. West Systems epoxy

Ahhhhh, Ahhhhhh!!!!!! Nooooooooo!!!!!!! Say it ain't so!

Man, I've suggested that I find Titebond difficult to remove from a joint. But at least Titebond IS removable. Epoxy? Yeah, It'll sure work, but please have some mercy on the next guy to put a board in that piano down the road!

> All these allow plenty of time before setting/curing and all of them
> are, I think, completely resistant to moisture.

The last two are for sure, as well as they are resistant to removal!

That just ain't right!

Terry Farrell