Soundboard drydown for installation :Jude Reveley

ricb at pianostemmer.no ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 19 17:54:04 MST 2008

Hey Jude :)

Interesting that you say Hartwig contradicted this inside the
factory.... You've been to the Hamburg factory then ?... interesting
because it was this same Hartwig that on my tour of the factory
informed me that the ribs WERE crowned and ... that they didnt dry
out to more then around 5.5 EMC before ribbing...and the bit about
the hotbox just before gluing the assembly into the rim... and the
rest of it.

But to be sure... I will give all this the benifit of the doubt and
re-ask these specifics when I go down their again in the near future.
I can cross check with a couple other guys down there as well.

Still, I remember writing to the list about the whole thing
immediatly after return from Hamburg when it was all fresh in my
memory.... But ok... I'll double check :)

Thanks for posting.

Cheers
RicB

A few cents...ladies and gents,

I've heard before that Hamburg pre-crowns ribs, but this was
contradicted by
Hartwig inside the factory. I would love some confirmation, Ric, and
any
other juicy tidbits you might be able to extract. I understand
they're a lot
more open in Hamburg than NY.

As for Steingraber, they seem to be the only company that is really
trying
to preserve a dome shape to their boards. Not only do they glue a
pre-crowned treble bridge to an unribbed board, they also custom fit
the rim
all the way round, which makes more sense than assuming a 1 degree
angle on
three sides will yield anything except more stress (not that I'm
saying more
stress is undesirable). The Germans seem to have done copious
research on
stress in soundboards as a tone-producing ingredient, according to
Sauter.
There are many texts in German which have yet to be translated into
English.

The Steingraber bass bridge is attached after the board is installed
because
of the many centemeter variations in the plate casting. The bass
bridge is
therefore hallowed out at the root to allow it to flex onto the crown
of the
board.

Regards,

Jude Reveley, RPT