two-pass tuning (levers)

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 14:53:05 MST 2008

Hi Avery

I thought I might get some comments on this.  :)

Many years ago, I started out without a mentor - after reading everything;
I thought that based on the pull of the strings, and the direction of the
coils on an upright, it made more sense to pull away, then settle back down
towards the pull of the strings.  I'm tall, have big hands and also don't
tune more than a few a day - normally.  For me, the "normal" lever technique
is like signing my name without letting any part of my hand or arm touch
the paper - difficult to control.  My technique uses the natural squeezing
muscles, but I could see it causing wrist or forearm troubles for someone
with a heavy tuning load.  No stress to the elbow or shoulder though!

So yeah, it works for me...
(after watching myself, I may try to come up with something to maintain
a more natural curve to my fingers - some kindof hand support...)

Ron

Hi Ron,I actually watched all 6 this morning. Impressive. My comment is that I'venever seen anyone tune with their hammer in the position that you use.Fingers on the pinblock. I assume that works well for you.Avery