[Files] Tuning pin bushings

Dean May kswafford at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 07:33:59 MST 2008

Even though the original pins were fairly tight, you really don’t want
any problems down the road. The old block is old, the glues used are
not as good as today’s, the construction just not as good as today’s.
Your name is going on this piano as its rebuilder for years to come.
If pins stop holding 25 years from now it will be your fault
(according to whatever tuner is servicing it at the time).

If you aren’t comfortable replacing the entire block, no problem, just
use the dowels that Webb Phillips sells,http://www.alliedpiano.com/index.htm
.

Make a sled with a column the same size as your drill press column. A
machine shop can make one of these pretty inexpensively. I screwed on
a piece of smooth birch plywood to the bottom of the sled. It scoots
easily enough with the drill press head on it, yet the whole assembly
is heavy enough that it stays put when you drill the hole. Use a
double pin block plank for a platform. Angle the platform to get the
tuning pin angle you want. If you have a helper hold a vacuum next to
the hole being drilled you won’t get debris build up. Plus the air
stream keeps the bit cool so it doesn’t dull.

Before drilling your new tuning pin holes, insert the bushings into
the plate first. Then drill through both bushing and pinblock at the
same time. The pins will really go in nice.

I used the 1/2 inch dowels for the upright pictured. But I suppose you
could use the 3/8 dowels they sell and not even remove the plate. In
that case the dowels would end up the same height of the plate and no
bushings would be needed. Anyone done one like this?

[Photos at:]

http://tinyurl.com/25njpp
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/2008-January/000300.html

Dean