Broadwood And Sons questions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 01:40:33 MST 2008

At 18:53 -0500 9/1/08, Phil Bondi wrote:

>John, is there any trick to removing the damper section to tune? It
>looks like it's pretty straight forward..but again, this is my
>first..so be gentle with me..!

Just take out the two screws holding the bar and lift out the whole
damper action -- but have a look how the the lift rail is fixed first.

It is certainly easier to tune without the dampers if you can focus
your hearing but most full-time tuners I know use a Papps wedge, as I
do myself, and provided the light is good, it is hardly any worse
than an under-damper action to find the way through.  The older
pianos have the note names written in ink on the wrestplank.  I must
admit I tuned my latest Kirkman without the dampers in, but then I
don't class myself as a tuner.

JD