workshop set ups

Anne Acker a.acker at comcast.net
Sat Jan 5 06:39:43 MST 2008

Continuing the theme of insulation and climate control, this can be combined with good lighting and dust control.

I installed a drop ceiling in my workshop, insulated above, and took the opportunity to fit in a huge number of florescent light panels throughout the ceiling.   I have tremendously good lighting, and there is no chance for dust to collect on top of the light fixtures since they are enclosed in the ceiling.    I had my electrician wire the lights up in rows so I only have to turn on the rows where I'm working to save electricity.

My heat pump/air conditioning outlets and ducts fit up in the ceiling as well. I built a closet around the heat pump.   It keeps a tidy, easy to clean look.   I double insulated the walls and installed the type of sheetrock with the smooth hard easy to clean surface on it.   Being bright white, it reflects even more light.

For the floor, I could not budget a raised wood floor, as I was rehabbing from its bones an old decrepit dance hall (the rotating hook for the sparkle ball was still in the ceiling),more recently boat storage with concrete slab floor.  The lighting and climate control took the major part of the budget.  I found an outlet that sold me some resilient flooring dirt cheap and rolled that on so at least my feet would have a bit of cushion under them.  I believe the floor and installation cost me $250.   The hardest part was getting rid of the old tiles and leveling the concrete.  The flooring won't last forever, but it will be easy to replace at some point.

I love my workshop!   It 960 sq. ft.  big enough to have several projects going at once, and small enough that I can't have too many instruments around at once.  This makes it straightforward to remind clients that I am NOT a storage facility!!

AA