Shteinveigh Qvestion

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Feb 26 20:56:34 MST 2008

Shteinveigh QvestionAlan,

First, a question: if you are only doing regulation, why take it home?  Unless you're doing something untidy (e.g. shaping hammers) or more involved (rebushing), I much prefer to just work at the piano.  Otherwise, only a couple points I could think of Alan.

First, and I'd say that if you aren't already, you'd want to do this with any piano, but after you've bedded the keyframe in the piano, the goal is then to be able to duplicate your reg. specs at the bench.  If you don't have a regulating bench like the one by Edwards, It's tough to do.  BUT, I have regulated a couple notes in each section before taking home, noting the numbers, the regulation dimensions and then, when I get to the bench, the dimensions for the notes I regulated may not be the same, but they are fairly reliable guides.  Regulate the others to match the ones you set at the piano.  It does a pretty good job of approximating.  But, I must admit, I don't know that I ever try for more than a rough regulation at the bench.

And, S&S specific, there is the crowned action frame to contend with (which it sounds like you already know).  It's necessary to regulate at the piano with cheek blocks screwed down, or by using action frame hold-downs of some sort - kind of a big C shaped thing that clamps the ends of the keyframe down to mate with the bed.  You'll want to do the same thing at your bench.  Typically the hold downs are placed between the last couple of Front Rail key pins.

Enjoy.

William R. Monroe

  When I take on a grand regulation job, I examine everything; take notes on how things are working, key to key; bed the frame in the piano; remove the action; examine the belly, trapwork, and lyre--adjusting as needed; take string height measurements; take the action home and put it on the bench; bench regulate best I can; take it back to the piano and fine regulate, etc.

  But (and you'll see how sophisticated we are here in the hills) I have never had occasion to regulate a Steinway. So .....

  Considering the bowed key frame, "accelerated action", sostenuto on the frame, etc., are there any changes to my steps that are necessary, anything special to be aware of? Any particular S&S quirks?

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, MO