Shteinveigh Qvestion

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 26 20:35:54 MST 2008

When I take on a grand regulation job, I examine everything; take notes on how things are working, key to key; bed the frame in the piano; remove the action; examine the belly, trapwork, and lyre--adjusting as needed; take string height measurements; take the action home and put it on the bench; bench regulate best I can; take it back to the piano and fine regulate, etc.

But (and you'll see how sophisticated we are here in the hills) I have never had occasion to regulate a Steinway. So .....

Considering the bowed key frame, "accelerated action", sostenuto on the frame, etc., are there any changes to my steps that are necessary, anything special to be aware of? Any particular S&S quirks?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO