Climbing Mt. Everett: A puzzler

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Sat Feb 16 16:55:00 MST 2008

Oh, good show! Well done! Bravo! Huzzah, huzzah! Genius at work!

Here's the story and the some amazing conclusions:

1. I noticed that the keys seemed low against the keyslip, viewed from the front.
2. I could get keya to cycle, sort of, by removing the front rail felt--then I noticed that there were no paper are cardboard punchings on the front rail at all. Odd.  (!)
3. So I, like you, conclude that the center rail is the problem. Quick check--medium thick felt but, again, NO  paper are cardboard punchings on ANY of the center pins. Really Odd (!!)
4. Set up some test notes with .027 added to the center rail in punchings. Those keys now looked "right" against the keyslip.
5. Looked at blow and found it fairly even but at only 1 1/2 inches. Increased blow distance to 1 3/4 inches.
6. And, Ta daaah, I was able to rough-regulate my test notes and they worked beautifully (compared to the "before" picture).

So what the heck happened to this piano? The regulations guy at station 37 must have been off in the break room when this baby rolled by. How did it ever leave the factory? How come the dealer's tech never noticed this lemon? .... oh, wait, I know THAT answer. And, the BIG question, why the blazes did no other tuner in 30+ years even think about the disaster under his/her fingertips, let alone fix it? (Sadly, I think I know that answer to that one, too.)

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO