Steinway parts

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Feb 12 12:35:40 MST 2008

In the word ACTUAL, I'm meaning wholesale of course. I understand the
costs of things in different areas.  I came from Seattle to Lincoln and it
was like day and night!  Imagine houses that a lowly CAUT piano tech can
afford!! (No traffic either :>)  ).  I grew up, partially in Portland,
too.  Nice city....

Paul

Diane Hofstetter <dianepianotuner at msn.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/12/2008 12:35 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

<pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Steinway parts

It's common business practice by virtually every business to build in a
profit margin on anything they sell--that's how they stay in business. The
ACTUAL cost, IS the retail cost.  And there are so many variables
connected with this.

One example is that I moved from the very high cost of living San
Francisco Bay area to a much more reasonable cost of living area--the
greater Portland area.  Rebuilding jobs in total are much less expensive
here than in California. Tunings cost less.  My home costs less.  Gas used
to cost a fraction of what it did in CA, but unfortunately, it caught up
:-(

Diane

Steinway parts
Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu

Me thinks that the issue is that most techs (as well as mechanics,
computer repair, plumbers, etc) build in a profit margin on parts and if
the general public knows the ACTUAL cost, they might raise a stink about
it.  Although when I get my car fixed, I just grumble and pay the bill. pw

Diane Hofstetter