Who says E.T. is the best way to solve octave divisions?

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 05:08:05 MST 2007

>What I am hoping is that some of the more experienced WT tuners can tell me
>(and others) what would be good tunings from the list to use,

For me, the eye-opener was the Festival of Temperaments at the
convention in Providence, RI.  Bill Bremmer's EBVT won out over
numerous temperaments.
But what I had noticed was that his temperament was similar to some of my
'best' sounding aural crafted tunings.  I was conscious that a slower C-E third
made for a better sounding solid C chord but unaware of the reason.

Taking Ed Foote's advise in the WT direction, I bought a VT100 (being too lazy
to learn a few new temperament bearings) and started with Thos. Moore & Co.
and Broadwood's Best.

These are two mild Victorian temperaments and a good first venture from ET.
With accomplished pianists I would discuss this ET departure to get their
approval.  I'd start with the Moore and at the next tuning suggest
the Broadwood's
Best. Usually I left it with the Broadwood but with one customer I
went back in time
to Young but she requested to back up to the Broadwood's Best at the
next tuning.
She and one other customer are enjoying the Lehman/Bach temperament. (Her
exact words were, "I want to keep it this way, always.")

Personally I was finding some of the fifths a little too fast for my
liking in the Moore
and Broadwood and have stuck with Coleman 11.  So now I have 2 or 3 customers
who insist on ET, 2 with Lehman/Bach, all others are Coleman 11 (the
perfect choice)
close enough to ET to be unnoticed and tempered enough to reestablish
key color.

Thanks Jim.

BTW, string players are the most appreciative of the departure from ET.
--

Regards,

Jon Page