[Files] Steinway Hammer Rest Rail

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Oct 29 03:33:03 MST 2007

hoffsoco at luther.edu wrote:
>> As an addendum, of course I will try fitting standard wippens from my
>> parts kits and see what happens - no doubt the best way to know for sure.
>> Just was curious if anyone had seen this before in a S&S.  As I look at it
>> more, it looks like it's probably a retrofit by some creative tech to
>> create a soft pedal.  It looks like aluminum angle with wood rail and
>> various felts.  I don't have the instrument to look at the trapwork, just
>> the action.
>>
>> William R. Monroe

> That looks identical to the rail I just took out of a former Duo-Art grand.
> REplacing with standard wippens is no problem.

> Conrad

Looking at it again, I see that your Keys and keyframe are different
than mine here, but the aluminum rail and it's hangers are the same.

The Duo-Art here has a shortened frame, the keys hang out the back and
the ends are covered top and bottom to reach over the back of a
shortened keybed which allowed the player to push them up from below.

I still don't see that you'd have any problem retrofitting a standard
wippen, although with that really thick felt on that bar I suspect that
your shanks will be way up in the air when it is regulated. It's a shame
you don't have the carcass handy to check string height and determine
the appropriate dimensions for stack height/bore/tail.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
- Casey Stengel