[Files] Steinway Hammer Rest Rail

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Oct 28 07:19:31 MST 2007

As an addendum, of course I will try fitting standard wippens from my parts kits and see what happens - no doubt the best way to know for sure.  Just was curious if anyone had seen this before in a S&S.  As I look at it more, it looks like it's probably a retrofit by some creative tech to create a soft pedal.  It looks like aluminum angle with wood rail and various felts.  I don't have the instrument to look at the trapwork, just the action.

William R. Monroe

  Hey List,

  New one on me.  I've just taken in an action for rebuild from a S&S M, ca.
  1930.  The hammer rest rail is solid - and pivots (see photos).  What's the
  scoop?  Is this original, or an alteration.  It would seem like a
  "soft-pedal" type of mechanism.  Anyone know if there is a problem
  converting to standard wippens?

  Thanks for your collective wisdom,
  William R. Monroe

  Photos at: