Spinet/Console Definition; was: Appraisal Value

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Oct 26 18:15:53 MDT 2007

> If it's tall, with a full-blow action, it's not a spinet.

Well, I said "tall (for a spinet)". I'd guess it was close to 40 inches tall - no shorter than that. The music desk was level with the lid.

Not trying to split hairs or challenge anyone, but rather determine the definition of spinet and console. To the best of my knowledge, there are two streams of piano type definition defining four types of vertical pianos (spinet, console, studio upright and upright) - the layperson's and the technical definitions. The layperson definition is based strictly on how tall the piano is. My understanding is that the technical definition of a spinet is that it has the drop action - whether or not it has the compressed or full size action does not matter. A console does not have the drop mechanism, i.e. the action sits on key capstans, but has a compressed-size action. Then the studio upright has the full action directly on capstans and the upright has the action either on capstans with riser extensions (think Yamaha U1 or U3), or the stickers common in the old uprights.

> Even if it's
> console size, but has a drop action, it's a "drop-action  console."

Opinions on this? IMHO, if it has a drop action, it is a spinet. Or do we use five classes on vertical pianos?

> If the
> rear ends of the keys (capstans) extend under the wippens, then it's a
> console.

Well, if it has a compressed action. If it has a full size action, it would be a studio upright.

> Yes, a dealer might ask $2K,

Right, which is why I defined "retail value" as what the dealer would ask for it....  Oops, I see I did not define "retail value". I meant to. Well, I guess there is another question: Does the phrase "retail value" mean what a dealer would ask for it? I thought that to be the case.

> but through the newspaper, between private
> parties, it might be hard to get more than $1200 - $1500 unless the finish
> is really like new.

Agreed. If even close to that. I see the majority of pianos like this go for somewhere between $500 and $1K in a private sale.

> (Looks always seem to matter more than the quality of
> the instrument)

LOL! Good point. So sad, but oh so true. That's why I told the lady that there would easily be a $200 difference in the price of the piano if she were to be able to remove the 39 or so glued-on letters on the middle keys (ABCDEFG).

Terry Farrell