Pleasure in destruction - < WAS Steinway YouTube videos >

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Oct 23 20:21:22 MDT 2007

Ah, but you miss the point my friend.  You may recall the infamous piano trebuchet scene on Northern Exposure where Chris points out so eloquently, "It's not what you fling, it's the fling itself".  How true it is.  Search YouTube for that one, it's there.  Another great example is something we do quite frequently here in Las Vegas, imploding hotels.  Half the population shows up for a tailgate party and cheers as it comes crashing down in a giant puff of logic.  It's that primitive and instinctive enjoyment of witnessing destruction.  Any demolition derby fan or driver will tell you; it's not the prey, it's the hunt.  So get out that big ax or sledge, tie a rope to your truck bumper, find a steep cliff, a tall building, or gather a rowdy crowd with a beer keg and lighter fluid, and drink a final farewell toast to that ol'   "Nobody & Sons"  upright.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV