How to remove PVA glued hammers.

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 07:10:17 MDT 2007

On 10/19/07, Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net> wrote:

>  ...hopefully you've already clamped all the shanks, so all you have to do
> is
>
> pull the hammers off, ... You don't even have to remove the shanks and
> flanges from the stack
>

> One can not remove a tight hammer from the shank while it is still
> attached to the rail and not damage the center. Even using a glue collar
> remover without supporting the shank with pliers damages the center.
>

> The time it takes to remove them from the rail is negligible compared to
> center repairs.
> I bet I can unscrew the h/s/f/, pop the hammer off the shank, clean the
> collar and reinstall the h/s/f in half the time it takes your glue to get
> all warm and gooey; with not risk to the centers.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

One can if one clamps all of the shanks in a hammer shank clamp similar to
or exactly like the one pictured at spurlock specialty tools
http://www.spurlocktools.com/id62.htm
You keep talking about all of this "time" for the glue to get all warm and
gooey which tells me you haven't tried it, if you had you'd know it doesn't
take that long, not nearly as long as removal/reinstalation of each h/s/f.
If you don't have the clamp, it's not hard to make yourself and you'll have
it for future use. I made my own.
So I'll take that bet Jon, anytime! <grin>
Mike

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com <http://www.ifixpianos.com/>