wacky backchecks and Knabe blow distance

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Mon Oct 15 12:30:15 MDT 2007

Sorry Jon Page, I'm going to post to both lists.

Speaking of wacky backchecks--no I didn't do this--but have put the new action in and am roughing things in (pay no attention to that hammer line, I decided the sharp key height had to come up a bit.  I have some sample notes set and really need to fix these backchecks before continuing--but first...

Has anyone worked on a 5'8" or so Knabe grand (late 1920s) where it was difficult to get 1 3/4" blow distance?  Is it <normal> (for this age, model, whatever), more or less, to have to go a bit narrower, like 1 5/8"?

This is the first time I've worked on a piano that was this screwed up.  I've learned a lot.  :-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois