Felt quality

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 15 11:15:09 MDT 2007

A question I am wondering about....with harder presssed hammers we open up the shoulders.   Do techs find they need to go back after some time and work the lower shoulders again?...they get compressed again with playing....obviously we need to work int he upper shoulders on a regular basis

...I have a Hamburg D I work on that I am not happy with the sound.   I think it distorts on forte playing...the mid shoulders seem pretty firm to me....I assume these are Renner Steinway hammers that have had a lot of needling in the lower/mid shoulder at the factory...this is from 1998, all original...I'm hesitant to make big changes, but I am headed that way...

Any suggestions...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044