Felt quality

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 15 01:12:29 MDT 2007

JD / Dale

And here you have the real reason for doping hammers.  Its a matter of
taste... purely subjective in nature and if done well will produce very
nice results that are somewhat different in end resulting sound.

There used to be a lot of folks trying to justify doping hammers by
asserting that you could get the same sound as needled hammers.  I am
glad I dont hear this kind of thing anymore myself, because it really
isnt true to begin with, and secondly... who should need such a
justification to begin with ? Steinway NY states outright that they dont
get the sound they want without using soft hammers built up with lacquer.

Dale and I have had many a talk on this subject and tho we have
different preferences... I'm know for a fact he gets a very nice sound
out of his approach.

In the end... regardless of the strong opinions any of us hold... piano
voice and response is a very subjective thing that has nothing at all to
do with what the instrument was designed to do... what level of
loudness/harshness  or softeness/mellowness is achieved.  One persons
noise is anothers heavenly harp.

Cheers
RicB

    JD
       Don't shoot me yet or flambeau me.  I may be the only  lacquer
    maverick in
    the herd, but all the friendly & accurately  assessed cynicism
    aside, I find
    a properly made Softer hammer  with quality felt will illicit a tone
    character
    I find very attractive when  treated lightly with a low dosage of
    lacquer. To
    my ear, this sound is  difficult to replicate with hammers without
    it.The
    lacquer in this specific case  doesn't render it un-needle-eable
    un- less over
    done.