Glue for laminated rib construction

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 07:17:33 MDT 2007

I"ve used both the Uni-bond 800 UF and Gorilla glue for all kinds of laminations
curved and otherwise. Both perform under exterior high moisture conditions and
sun cycling with no creep.

Of the 2 I like the polyurethane for its machinability in secondary operations.
Its often my favorite choice for this reason, even though it is a pain to
spread. ---An 8" very flexible drywall knife wiped cross grain helps move
this part along considerably.

I really like the Uni-bond 800 for the ease of getting the glue spread on a
bunch of laminations very quickly. I also really like its rigidity, especially
on curved laminations. Its only real down side from my perspective is it is
really hard on knives for secondary operations. I only use it where secondary
planing/jointing/shaping operations will be performed by carbide tooling. I
and haven't noticed any clogging issues on the drilling front.

Terry...regarding the color of the Unibond, have you tried controlling glue line
color by using different colored catalysts, which Vacupress supplies? I use the
dark catalysts for mahogany. There is a light catalyst for light woods...but
maybe that's what you've already tried. Don't know if there are more than 1
light catalyst.

Dale...the Unibond does have some out-gassing to it during use. I'm pretty
sensitive to these things, but it doesn't seem to irritate my sensitivities.

I agree will you, Dale about epoxy...I never use it for anything other than
fixing boo-boo's, and very occasional minor structural gap filling.  It really
wants a thick glue line...for this reason I will not use it on joinery.

As a side note, in the historic preservation field, in the late 80's early 90's
epoxy was embraced as a cure all for all kinds of difficult, skill intensive
repair issues in buildings. Since then, much time hase been spent fixing failed
epoxy work...mostly with close fitting goints replacing the monolithic epoxy
constructions.

Jim I

Even clamping pressure would concern me also. I not suggesting that you can't
successfully use Bolduc glue for a pinblock. For building pinblocks, because of
the clamping issue, I use either epoxy or 2-part urea-formaldehyde (UF)
adhesive. The UF is water cleanup. It cures rock hard and can fill any size gap.
No actual clamping pressure is required (just like epoxy) - you really only
clamp to position things and so that you don't have more glue than wood.

The UF adhesive I use is Unibond 800  http://www.vacupress.com/veneerglue.htm
Very easy to use.

You can also use the UF for ribs - although it leave a yellow glue line. Doesn't
bother me, but it is yellow.

I've also used Bolduc and Titebond Extend for laminating ribs. Both work well. I
have had a few slabs of ribs change curvature while the wood MC equilibrates
with the shop. No real big deal, but if you use these water-based glues I simply
suggest waiting a week or two before using them - recheck the radius to be sure
of what you have. The UF avoids this concern (real or imagined).

Terry Farrell