[CAUT] decal removal from case

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Oct 10 17:59:05 MDT 2007

What kind of finish is on this piano?  If it is a satin finish, try rubbing
with 0000 steel wool lightly (in the same direction as the existing
scratches, of course).  Sometimes the side decals are placed on top of the
finish, and given an additional clear coat or two to protect.

William R. Monroe

>    Hi Alan:
>    If the decals were applied OVER the original finish, try smearing them
> with cooking oil overnight.  The oil will soften and loosen the adhesive
> and they should come right off.  It may require two applications.  We
> learned this from de-decaling our kids beds.  A heat gun and putty knife
> is also sometimes helpful.
>    However, if the finish went on over the decals, its likely stripping
> the finish along with the decal may be the only way.
>    Mike Kurta

List,

A client has an old upright with decals of cherubs and such on the
outside of the instrument.  They want to know if there is any way to
remove the decal withOUT affecting the finish.  I don't have a clue.
Anyone?

Thanks,

Alan Eder