School districts and markup

Karl Schenscher karlschenscher at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 10 17:45:19 MDT 2007

This is clearly a worldwide school community problem as I have the same frustrations in Australia. The general level of matinence for school pianos is low as are budget and funding allocations. The issues are usually determined by the school bursar or accountant. Not all Directors are pianists and there can be scant regard for the condition of even new pianos while banks of new computers adorn IT rooms and are treated with awe. Tuners need to be affirmative and definite about what they are prepared to do and the conditions under which they will work. Try doing a "concert" standard  tuning in a space with a brass band rehearsal and a drum session in adjacent rooms! I have refused these sort of conditions, insisted on access during vacation periods and never resile from billing in exact accordance with the volume and quality of work required. In the end it generates a level of appreciation and respect that keeps the association well and businesslike. That's all we can ask.  Karl Schenscher. South Australia.