bouncing Schimmel hammers

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 8 01:57:45 MDT 2007

Hi Richard

This description below rules suggests perhaps something along what Jon
suggests, and a jack that gets back under the knuckle very quickly.  If
you have close letoff and little drop and a strong rep spring to boot...
then the jack can get back well before the hammer hits the string for a
staccato blow.

The hammer has to be rebounded by something, and there are only a very
limited number of things that can do this, and many of these are ruled
out if checking goes as usual for all other kinds of blows. I assuming
at this point that all fff blows with the key kept down will check as
usual.  If this is the case.. then you are looking for something in the
whippen and keys that only happens with quick release... and this speaks
to me of how the action resets for repetition.

If the jack is back under (as it really should be on a staccato blow)
after hammer impact, and the key and whippen combine to create enough
resistance to the hammers downward force, then you will get a double
blow.  Tight key pins, tight whippen flanges, and stiff repsprings come
to mind real quick. A too loose jack pinning could also contribute
somewhat I suppose.

Perhaps a few UW and DW samples might be enlightening ?  That would give
us both BW and frictions figures.  If BW is reasonably low and friction
is high and your hammer flange centers are not the source of the high
friction, well you see where I am going.

Cheers
RicB

    This is not a backcheck issue, because the bouncing happens on a sharp,
    staccato blow that does not put the hammer in check.

    Richard