Walter 175 hammers

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Oct 7 16:44:12 MDT 2007

Also if you do decide to use a chemical voicing solution please  consider the
wisdom of trying  only a few samples at a time in each  section. Test the
hammer for stiffness with a single no.six needle.  The  softer the hammer the
stiffer you solution & vice verse.  With Wurzen  felt they are typically quite
dense & the needle will give you good  resistance when going in.  The top of the
Bacon felt hammers tend to be  softer & I strongly advise you to file them up
thru 1000 grit paper as David  Love suggests.

  Dale

The  lacquer I have is closer to the 25% solids and so I'm diluting it quite
a  bit.  If you are inclined to use hardeners on the crown only you  might
consider the key top/acetone since it needles out easily.  Also  check to be
sure that it is Wurzen felt.  There may have been one or  two pianos that got
Bacon felt.  If that's the case you can feel more  comfortable using lacquer
but still don't go too strong.  I must warn  you to be careful in hardening
the bass end of that piano too much.   What you get if you go overboard may
be worse than what you have now.   Keeping things balanced has to trump any
preconceived notion of what any  one section should sound like.  At least in
my opinion.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.