Introducing the Crownulator

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Fri Oct 5 11:53:11 MDT 2007

>> *Also Dale brings up the fact that crown on a loaded board is often
>> imperceptible when there may actually be .010" over 12", for
>> example. I've tried loading punchings and holding a ruler under my twine
>> to get a better measurement, but I keep getting a cramp in sixth arm.
>> BAAAAH! Problem solved.*
>
> Well, yea, but either crown or bearing by itself isn't of much
> use. You need the combination of the two to tell you what the
> board is actually supporting.

Absolutely, thus my attempt  to measure crown and sag in a repeatable and reliable manner; understanding, agreeing and emphasing that this is one piece of our puzzle.

Also, a piece of masking tape to
> hold one end of the KSE at the rim, with one hand holding the
> other end at the opposite rim still leaves a hand free to
> slide a calibrated wedge in to measure crown, in as many
> positions along the KSE as you like, to get a crown profile.
> Light, you say? LED headlamp, sir.

Yep. Tried all that. The string always seems to pull out of the tape as I insert my calibrated shims and I just don't feel like I can honestly notice the shims contacting the string accurately to within a few hundedths of an inch.

Not that your method doesn't work for you (or as Rodney Dangerfield said in Caddy Shack "...but that hat looks good on you"). Afterall, there's more ways than one to skin a cat that'c chewing on your temperment strips.

>> *I would also like to humbly suggest that we upgrade the way we describe
>> crown. I've heard too many descriptions of crown as an arc deflection
>> without any relation to a span, specifically as it concerns setting
>> static downbearing, which just seems incomplete.  *
>
> Then we also need definitions, and understanding, of the
> differences in methods of setting bearing on old CC boards,
> old RC boards, new CC boards, new RC boards, and new RC&S
> boards, all of which are somewhat different, with the RC&S
> boards being considerably different. We also need to connect
> crown with bearing, which is seldom done in discussion.

Yes, let's define, understand, differentiate and listen.

See "Why I post."

I think this is exactly what most of us are trying to do. I've been quiet because I have a lot of catching up to do with the current theory, archives etc, a goal which I've been voraciously pursuing, but I'm hoping to contribute to this age old attack on these complex issues; And never has there been a better forum than this list and the genuine good will of many of us to collaborate. I don't see too many rebuilders wanting to hold back (maybe a little at times by some :). Rochester was a great opportunity to listen. I wish I could be in Anaheim with a piano, but the powers that be want to showcase the West Coast talent exclusively (which gives me a great excuse anyway because I don't think I could afford to bring a piano there at this point and reciprocate the gesture of our West Coast colleagues that came East). Anyway, there's always next year and these discussions will go on for a long time, I hope.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545