Introducing the Crownulator

Absolute Piano absolutepiano at comcast.net
Thu Oct 4 18:11:00 MDT 2007

For all you folks that have already made your Farell/Wixey/Lowell dowmbearing guages and are wondering what to do with your old bubble guages, I introduce..

 "The Crownulator" (patent pending)...:)

Finally a guage that accurately measures crown to the thousandth of an inch and fits up in the high treble and other tight spaces.

How much would you pay for such an instrument?

Wait, don't answer yet because I'm also including a set of Ginsu knives and complimentary lemon peeler.

Crown is measured over a 12" span and up measures uo to .750" (3/4").

You can easily figure your radius by plugging your measured value into the following formula as H...

R= ((H^2+36)/2H)/12

For example, in the picture the guage measures .715". The guage counts backwards so that's .035" of crown over 12" (.750-.715=.035).

Thus, ((.035^2+36)/.07)/12 is roughly a 42.8586011904761' radius. I've never been one for the 60' radius unloaded anyway.

The 36 is based on a 12" span, so if you choose a different span, the value should be your span^2/.25.

Have fun,

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545

100_0890
100_0891

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.