Dampp-Chaser question

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 04:57:04 MDT 2007

>My point in doing the <full> covers whenever possible, especially in
>the churches
>is the pianos aren't moved around like they are in a school or stage
>environment, they can be persuaded to keep them closed when not in use and
>the cover helps hold in the "conditioned air" whether it's dried or
>humidified.

I've taken on the maintenance of a church piano which has the
to-the-floor cover
with a full DC system.

On my first encounter, I removed the cover and it was overly warm and
humid inside.
I was there to tune for a performance and the piano was unstable as
it acclimated to
the new surroundings.  I removed the DC tank at the prompting of the
music director.
I told them to keep the cover off until after the performance on
Saturday night (this
was on Friday) so as not to put the piano out of tune.

On my second visit, the piano was still overly warm. This is  100+
y/o building with
the parish hall below the sanctuary, wooden floors. Again, the tuning
took extra
time while the piano acclimated.

It must be the radiant heat rising from below and is trapped within
the full cover.
I think this cover has the opposite affect of what is desired. I have
recommended
replacing the full cover with a string cover because of all the
pianos I tune with
standard covers or string covers, there is not such a drastic change
in environment
and their piano didn't exhibit pitch stability as one would expect.
Besides, it's big, bulky and weighs a ton.

I recommended a string cover because they maintain the temperature fairly well
in the winter. A string cover can stay on, providing it's insulating
purpose through
services and maybe performances and not experience such a change when removed.
Also, the music people are not happy having to handle a heavy cover
and would more enjoy the appearance of the piano without it.

Anyone interested in a full cover for a Bosey Imp?
--

Regards,

Jon Page