Tuning pin drilling? followup

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Oct 1 22:32:23 MDT 2007

Jim
    The bit I use is cheap as you can get.  It only has  to be round and have
a pointed tip so it puts just the slightest dimple in  the Block.  As Ron
said The bits I drill with I've had for along time as  well.  I think they came
from Pianotech.
 Small forstner bits will work as well.  If they don't fit in the  hole grind
the outer diameter just enough until they do and the block will have  a
dimple right in the middle.  You can't miss.
  BTW  I always ream out the holes in the plate webbing to make  each hole
the same size.  I don't usually end up taking much out but I am  surprised how
inconsistent the size of these holes are. On some holes nothing  comes out
others don't seem to be bored with the same bit. Which,  they  probably weren't.
  Dale

Yes,  that's nice and simple... the brad point bits I've tried to use have
trouble  clearing the
chips..get all jambed up...

What does the cutting  portion of the tip look like,  and who is your
supplier...if I  may?

Jim I