Odd pin block

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun May 27 17:47:44 MDT 2007

Ron
  Got it.  I always single drill but then I'm usually  drilling 1/4 sawn
maple blocks & I've taken to making my own. It's not  that hard with the new Band
saw etc to prep material.
  I know, I'm whacked, but I enjoy the challenge & the  last one tunes like
the very best quartersawn block you might encounter in an  old Steinway. SO
easy to tune.
  However, Even though I've got the process of  drilling at the drill press
pretty much dialed  I'm in the process of  setting up to give drilling in  the
piano a fair shot but my drill press  isn't heavy enough.  I like the idea of
the radial press because it  distributes the weight a bit as you're trying to
move/float  it. Ever see any factory set  ups?
  Dale

If I  stand on the handle, sure, it'll lift the front of the
machine doing the  first pass. The first pass isn't remotely
critical in any way but  placement. I'm just removing material,
and I try to remember to let the  bit cut it out rather than
trying to punch it through the bottom of the  block. If I go to
sleep or get in a hurry and lift the machine front once  in a
while, it won't damage the hole enough to affect the second
pass  and final fit of the tuning pin. The second pass is just
removing 0.009"  of wood, which is enough to erase the sins of
the first pass, but I don't  think I could jam the bit in fast
enough against that little resistance to  lift the machine. I
drill the second pass with more attention to applying  a
similar feed rate from hole to hole than to maximum speed.

Are  you single drilling, or double? From the bit sizes you
quoted, I'd guess  you're single drilling.

Ron N