Lowell Component Downbearing Gauge

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat May 19 09:35:19 MDT 2007

JD
  Sorry to chime in late.  Life &  all.
   I thought it might be interesting to note that on  my most recent project
Stwy A-2 that in checking the net residual bearing with  both the Lowell gauge
& the Wooden bearing gauges that the reading came out  the same at 3/4 of a
degree & a bit more in the trebles. SO the board is  half squashed as intended.
  Dale

JD wrote
>The innate inaccuracy from any of  these techniques, given the
>strings' speaking  length tendency to  deflect and vibrate while your
>fussing with whatever tool, will yield  a measurement that needs to
>be taken with a grain of  salt.

Well, the purpose of my message was merely to point out the
deficiency of a tool that resolves only to one tenth of a degree and
to show that Dale Erwin's primitive method can achieve more than
double the accuracy of the Wixey digital gauge.  Steel strings at
pitch are not going to deflect to distort the measurement either
under  the weight of the Wixey gauge or under the light pressure of
Dale's  fingers and I can think of several far less reliable  methods.

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker  rd
Modesto, Ca. 95357
Shop 209-577-8397