how about? for damper felts

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat May 19 06:23:08 MDT 2007

My method for removing key bushings is to use four wedges of felt,
the Key Bushing Iron/KBI, Spurlock Sizing Cauls,
water:denatured Alcohol /10:1. (The alcohol is a surfactant).

I found it expedient to soak three bushings ahead. Begin by soaking
the four wedges and insert them into the mortices. After a minute,
remove the first wedge, re-soak; insert KBI.

When it's time to remove the KBI from the first bushing, remove the next wedge,
and insert the KBI then re-soak the wedge and insert the already re-soaked
wedge into the next open bushing. (You'll need to adjust the heat so
that the next
bushing will be ready by the time you remove the previous bushing
with tweezers).
For tweezers, use surgical-type which are used to remove sutures;
sharp, pointed.

So when you finish removing the bushing, insert the sizing caul
and advance the KBI and wedge.

No need to make 88 wedges. I'm leary of using a dampened cloth with an iron
or live steam because with my luck, it would lift the key buttons and ivory.
--

Regards,

Jon Page