piano preservation

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Wed May 16 14:42:48 MDT 2007

Wolf in the sheep pen?

| You were invited
| because you have worked on and seen many interesting pianos,
| and from the point of view of a piano designer.  We want you
| to be Del, expressing your honest views and opinions, that I
| at least respect, even when I may not agree.  There are no
| right and wrong answers for this.  Believe me, you have more
| than 15 minutes to say.

Well, it may take me more than 15 minutes to say it, but . . . .

| Don't let the over museum-y academic
| types put you off.    Those of us on the panel know full well
| that there have been different approaches throughout history.
|  For heaven's sake, the 18th century harpsichord builders cut
| up and rebuilt the 17th century harpsichords.   There isn't a
| Strad out there with its original neck, because the times and
| requirements changed.
|
| Besides, you have learned so much from all the pianos you've
| worked on.  That is enough to speak about right  there.  What
| about the issue of when a piano is or is not worth
| preserving?   Should we preserve presswood Baldwins from the 1980's?

Actually, this is one of the questions I've been pondering. How does one go
about predicting what some technician/historian may become interested in some
two hundred years down the road? Take my example of the Brambach -- why on earth
would anyone be interested in Brambach's technology in 2207? Most piano
technicians of today would advise an owner to dump them and get a real piano.
Yet I can't think of any piano since the early Chickering and Steinway grands
that has had a greater influence on the societal impact of the piano.

| Perhaps this discussion should go back behind the scenes?

Actually, my earlier post was intended to go privately to Jack. I pressed the
wrong button. But, I'm reminded of some of the discussions that took place in
the meetings of Piano Tone Building where Frank Morton edited the stenographic
record just when things got really interesting. I'd love to see those original
transcriptions.

Del