piano preservation

Anne Acker a.acker at comcast.net
Wed May 16 14:00:39 MDT 2007

Del, Del!

You are NOT the fox in the henhouse here.  You were invited because you have worked on and seen many interesting pianos, and from the point of view of a piano designer.  We want you to be Del, expressing your honest views and opinions, that I at least respect, even when I may not agree.  There are no right and wrong answers for this.  Believe me, you have more than 15 minutes to say.  Don't let the over museum-y academic types put you off.    Those of us on the panel know full well that there have been different approaches throughout history.  For heaven's sake, the 18th century harpsichord builders cut up and rebuilt the 17th century harpsichords.   There isn't a Strad out there with its original neck, because the times and requirements changed.

Besides, you have learned so much from all the pianos you've worked on.  That is enough to speak about right  there.  What about the issue of when a piano is or is not worth preserving?   Should we preserve presswood Baldwins from the 1980's?

Perhaps this discussion should go back behind the scenes?

Folks, you are seeing a taste of the goings on to be had at the Convention.

Anne, who is usually the one who feels like the odd person out at PTG gatherings!