charge for time?

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Mon May 7 23:11:13 MDT 2007

Most customers know the IRS mileage rates for business expenses, as it's the rate they get back when they use their car for business:
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=163828,00.html

This is a good thing for them, so they think of it kindly, and it has an independent rationale (rather than being an arbitrary fee).

I charge about half of that as a separately listed mileage fee for trips of more than about half an hour away from home.  I set my trip odometer to zero at home, and note what it is when I get onsite, and charge for the round trip.  If the price of gas goes way up, I adjust the rate accordingly.  By using the round trip, it's pretty easy for customers to verify with Mapquest.

I also split the charge between all customers on the same day (because I schedule them in the same area).  This encourages them to find other customers for me, and it's a win/win/win for all of us.

Dan Levitan has a great concept to use: establish a "policy".  This lets you make exceptions, without rolling over completely.  For example, "My policy is to charge for mileage on out-of-town trips, but in this case, Mrs. Jones, I'm waiving it for you.".

--Cy--