appraisal help?

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu May 3 16:55:17 MDT 2007

Tom,

            How big is a sojin DG-1E ?

            If it is anywhere near 5' @ 20 years old even in great condition
and they would be fortunate to get $ 2000.

            JMO Tom Driscoll

  _____

Subject: appraisal help?

List

One of my oldest clients, in both ways, has just passed on.  She died one
day before her 66th Anniversary.  She met her husband when she was 13 and he
was 15, and they got married only two years later.  I can only imagine how
much they must have loved each other, since America in 1940 certainly
wouldn't have smiled too brightly on an interracial marriage, let alone one
where the two betrothed were only 15 and 17 years of age.  Even to one such
as myself, who only saw them once a year, it was apparent what a remarkable
couple they were.

At any rate, her husband is now selling her piano.  It's a 1986 Sojin grand,
model DG-1E, high gloss black polyester finish, w/bench.  The piano is in
mint condition.  She had arthritis since I began tuning the piano, and
although I'd come back each year, I never had to do more than tweak a couple
of unisons.  She always complained that it was too painful to play, but
nevertheless had the piano tuned annually.

He said he paid $6000 for it in 1986.  I told him I wanted to get some
outside opinions, but if forced to, I guess I'd appraise it at $4000-$4500?
Does that sound ballpark to you guys?

Thanks for your input,

Tom Sivak

Chicago