Shellac on plate

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Wed May 2 08:40:22 MDT 2007

Hello list.

Recently the thread arose about shellac on plates.
While I'm quite used to rubbing shellac on rosewood, I never did this on a
plate, and am wanting to give it a try.  I'm never satisfied with the
automotive gold sprays because they are so fragile, even with clear coats on
top.
Can anybody describe the procedure ?

preparing the plate (sanding ? how fine ?)
primer coat ?
preparing the shellak (which kind of shellak ? gold powder ? in what
proportions ?)
applying the shellak (brush ? rubbing pad ?)
etc.

Seems like my first attempts give poor results, so I thought someone out
there has been there.

Alternatively, is there another good procedure that does not involve
spraying ? (I have no room nor equipment for spraying.)

Thanks in advance.

Stéphane Collin.